20110718

Cymraeg

I am not competent to cover this properly but I hear Welsh spoken and I notice any number of little phrases knocking about that appear to be buried under layers of mystery.
Examples
1. Esgob Dafydd - Translates Bishop David, probably a euphemism for Esgyrn Dafydd (David's bones) I guess.
2. Rargian Dafydd or Rargian fawr (Yr argian fawr) - No idea but possibly form of Lord David or omen of David or Great Lord or Great omen (Arglwydd or Argoel) 
3. Bobl Bach Y Bala - Translates Little people from Bala, probably some sort of euphemism
4. Nefi wen, nefi bliw - This is something to do with the Welsh word heavens (nefoedd). Nefoedd wen would be blessed heavens.
5. Boys bach - another bit of English in there but really bys bach, little finger, I would guess, not that that explains anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment